Tuesday, December 16, 2008

#9 Girl, Interrupted

In this Girl, Interrupted clip Susanna is supposed to be a patient in an insane asylum. Winona Ryder, who plays Susanna, acts in a very withdrawn and angry at the world. This really adds to the movie because it makes her character much more convincing. The other girls who are patients in the asylum have their different quirks that make them appear insane enough to be placed in there. Lisa is really mean and acts like she owns the place and Cynthia says things a child would say and repeats what others say around her. Whoopi, the nurse, lightens the mood by joking with the patients but sill acting like an authority figure. Two props that I noticed from the scene were the razor and the cigarettes. The razor was in the first part of the scene where the nurse has to watch her take her bath and the cigarettes were pretty much throughout the rest of the scene. I think that the razor was added in the beginning to set the tone that the girls really did have problems and couldn't be left alone with something like a razor. The cigarettes stood for a deeper addiction and a need to always be doing something.

2 comments:

One Moment Can Change Everything said...

Well, for me it is going to be hard to say changes you should make in this movie because it was well played out and caught my attention right away. Not only is one of my favorite actress (Whoopi) in this movie but the movies tone just caught me right away. But I guess if I really had to change something I would make it so that the insane asylum didn’t look like such a cruel place to live. I would make it look nice and warm welcoming. Some of the language I would also change and add a little less profanity. But I think the props were excellent along with everything else! Great job, keep up the good work!!

Montag said...

Dang. I love things about mental asylums. I just have to say that this scene reminded me a lot of the book "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest." Lisa is just like McMurphy and the main character reminds me a lot of Chief (though who knows if you've even read that book). Anyway. Since this scene reminded me so much of that book, I would add quirks that I observed while reading that book to this movie. I would have liked to see Lisa be a bit more aggressive with the other women around, though I do like how she treated Cynthia. She seemed likeable and hateable at the same time, which is very hard to pull off. I would have liked more interaction between Susanna and Lisa. Maybe have Lisa be even more up in her face than she was.